There Really Is A Santa Claus

That time of year has approached yet again!  It's also a time of year for great debate!  I always hear complaints and comments about when Christmas music should be played.  I get made fun of for listening to it after Halloween.  I get accused for not giving Thanksgiving the fair chance it deserves, haha!  I mean it's a touchy subject that people get very passionate about!  Well, Christmas music is my favorite and Christmas time is my favorite time of year!  This statement however, does not justify or really tell the true story of my feelings for Christmas!  There are no words to describe how much I truly LOVE Christmas!  Every year I hear about how I am worshiping the Pagan Gods because I have a Christmas tree, candy canes, decorations, music, and I believe in Santa Clause!  "These evil traditions should be banned", blah, Blah, BLAH, BLAH!!! "LIGHTEN UP, it does not have to be so wretched and dismal", that's what I say in response to the bleak, "letter of the law", take everything so literally, crowd, haha!! Yes, you read it right, I BELIEVE IN SANTA!!! Okay, it is true that much of what we know as Christmas tradition now days can be traced back to Pagan (non Christian) origin.  I hope to shed a different light on the origins and how they became adopted by the Christians.  After years of pondering and research here is my perspective!

The Christian people in early centuries came in contact with many other religions, like we do today.  Christians had a soft spot for Pagans and for good reason.  They were fascinated by their traditions and beliefs.  Christians wanted to celebrate with other non Christians, they wanted to find common ground, they wanted to be friends, they wanted to convert them.  It's like today, if I celebrate Ramadan with my Muslim friends, is it evil to do such a thing, NO! We are friends and we want to learn about one another and understand one another. If I get invited to a Ramadan dinner, you better believe I'll be going!!  Middle Eastern cuisine is AMAZING and I love people from Middle Eastern countries.  Not many know it, but our religions have so much in common, more than any government would want you to know about!  I don't have to share their beliefs in order to participate in a simple dinner celebration!  I am joining them in celebration and I'm certainly learning, but not adopting their beliefs as my own.  Although, we have many in common and to me, that is worth celebrating!

Many Christians saw Pagan beliefs as a bad thing, but they also thought they were worth remembering because these were the traditions of their ancestors, this is why they may have been fascinated by them.  In an effort to spread their Christian beliefs among the Pagans and to dissolve an increasing belief among Christians that Jesus was not a real man that lived on the earth, they decided the best way was to celebrate Jesus' birth.  Thus started the adoption of some Pagan traditions!  It did not occur to the Christians to celebrate Christ's birthday because the Bible never specified an exact time of His birth, but many believe it was in the Spring.  Christians were more concerned with celebrating a martyrs' day of death, this was considered the true birthday.  Birthday celebrations were also a Pagan tradition.  So the Christians wanted to use the Pagan's own tradition to teach their beliefs and spread the gospel.  If the Christian's adopted some of the Pagan traditions then it was more appealing to them and they were more likely to accept Christianity.

Winter solstice festivals had to do with celebrating the rebirth of the Sun, so what better time to celebrate the birth of the Son?!  Pretty clever if you ask me!  Since many of the Pagan celebrations were of the Winter festival kind, the Christians decided to teach their beliefs during the Winter festival and Celebrate Christ's birth.  I think it is cool that they did this, they found a clever way to appeal to the Pagans through the use of their own traditions to perhaps change their beliefs.  These traditions have evolved over the centuries and Christian religions have brought new meanings, Christian ones, to the Pagan symbols and traditions.  Christians over the centuries have taken something many have seen as negative and turned it around to find Christ in it by giving new meaning!  By adopting some of these traditions, the Christians were not adopting the Pagan beliefs behind them. They found it important to remember because of their ancestors' belief in them and they used the symbols and traditions to celebrate their new found tradition, Christ's birth.
https://www.livescience.com/25779-christmas-traditions-history-paganism.html

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Christmas

Gift giving is a more modern tradition of Christmas that is traced back to some version of a man (a Santa) that went around doing good and giving gifts.  It can also be traced back to Pagan beliefs.  As for Santa Claus, yes he was an actual man, St. Nicholas, SinterKlaas.  I have discovered through much research that many sources will refer to our modern day Santa Clause as originating from Father Christmas who originated from Pagan folklore, which is partially true. The fantastical and mythical parts of Santa Clause that we know today may have originated with Pagan beliefs. Many sources say Father Christmas was also St. Nicholas and Kris Kringle.  Many European countries have their own version of Santa Clause and they may all come from different origins.  I like the story of St. Nicholas because it is a true story and many sources will tell you that he became Santa Clause, or at least he did in some cultures.  Some of the stories told cannot be proven, but his life was definitely a dedication to God.  He was a rich Christian Bishop of Myra, modern day Turkey.  The story goes like this, his parents were strong Christian believers who had long prayed for a child and so when they had one they devoted him to God.  His parents died when he was likely a teenager of a plague that struck their city.  He was left with great wealth.  This experience drew him closer to God and made him more compassionate toward the suffering of others. He decided to use his wealth to honor God.  He went to many places giving gifts, taking care of others, stopping the imprisonment of others, and even stopping one man from selling his daughters into slavery or prostitution by providing them with a dowry to marry instead.  He was known as a protector of children and sailors.  After he became Arch Bishop of Myra a great persecution of Christians took place, he was likely imprisoned and tortured for his Faith during this time.  After his death on December 6th, many carried on his tradition of giving gifts and doing good.  December 6th is St. Nicholas Day, this is how it came to be tied in with other Christmas traditions that we know today.  He was a man who did much good in the world in Christ's name.  The spirit of giving is the spirit of Christ!
 https://www.crosswalk.com/special-coverage/christmas-and-advent/who-is-santa-and-what-does-he-have-to-do-with-christmas.html

https://www.history.com/topics/christmas/santa-claus

The tradition of Santa Claus is a great way to celebrate Christ.  That spirit of giving unites one tradition with another!  The spirit of Santa Claus that has been kept alive through the centuries is also synonymous with the spirit of Christ.  Christ's whole life and purpose was about sacrifice as was St. Nicholas', as he dedicated it to God.  How appropriate is it that we give so much joy to children at Christmas time when we celebrate either the birth of the Christ child, or the St. Nicholas traditions, or both?  Jesus, who admired children, taught them, protected them, healed them and St. Nicholas who tried to do the same as he dedicated his life to God.  I believe a great deal of Christmas is about bringing joy to everyone that we can reach, but especially children.  Christmas, in part, is meant for children!  The magic that the present day Santa Clause brings at this time of year is what brought my family closer together when I was growing up.  A little belief in the magic and myth never really hurt anyone.  It brought hope into my childhood, a concept that I didn't fully comprehend at the time, but had a positive impact. The anticipation and excitement of receiving gifts and giving them was magical.  Spending time with family opening presents on Christmas morning and seeing everyone happy, that was magical!  Christmas time was always something to look forward to every year, it was a time when life was a little different, a little better, a little more exciting!  So, how has Christmas changed me?  Why do I feel so deeply about the spirit of giving?  Here are a few of my stories!

When I was a young child there were a few years when my parents gave each of us kids in the family a brand new, perfectly straight $5 bill at Christmas time.  We were instructed to give it to someone that we felt needed it.  We were not allowed to keep it.  I remember this was a challenge because $5 was a lot money for me back then.  I could have bought a lot of candy with $5.  I remember going to the grocery store with my mom and being tempted to spend the crease free $5 bill.  My mom told me to keep my eyes open for someone in need.  I remember one year we all put our $5 bills together and gave it to a family who had lost their house to a fire that year.  That was not a lot of money for a family who had lost almost everything, but it was what we had to give and it was appreciated still.  I actually don't remember who I gave it to the other years, but I remember the lesson behind it. It taught me an important lesson about sacrifice and giving at all times, but especially at Christmas.

Every year my Dad would go out and purchase many turkeys and hams.  On Christmas Eve he would make out a Christmas card for each.  He would pick families or individuals to take them to on Christmas Eve night, many times we gave to the same families year after year.  We would all hop in the car and make the deliveries in secret, the classic door-bell-ditch!   Many times it was my older siblings that made the delivery because they could run faster, but I remember it always being so exciting and fun.  A few families were always determined to catch us year after year, but we never got caught, it was close though. When the families opened the card it would say "YES! THERE REALLY IS A SANTA CLAUSE!"  It was Santa Clause after all, we were the Santa Clause!

When I was about 12. I was really in to collecting Barbie dolls and porcelain dolls.  There was a Victorian shop in Cedar City that my Mom and I would frequent to study the inventory and admire the beautiful art that the dolls were.  There was this beautiful doll that I just fell in love with.  I remember I wanted it so bad, but it was about $270.  She was a bigger doll, she had a pretty lacy hat and dress adorned with flowers.  I decided I was going to save up my money and get her.  I saved for months and I kept going back to the shop to make sure no one had bought her yet.  One day I went to the shop and found that she was gone, I was crushed!  I felt so bad.  I remember asking my mom "Do you think they will get another one in?"  She always said she wasn't sure.  It was hard to tell because some doll makers would make very few of one doll, that was one reason they could be so expensive.  I lost all hope that I would ever see that doll again.  On Christmas morning that year I opened a big box that contained that doll, my doll, the doll that I wanted so badly.  I was floored, I was in utter shock, I think I even cried!  My Mom and Dad had fooled me all of those months.  My Dad had gone and bought the doll, with my Mom's help, no doubt. That year, my Santa Clause was my Dad!  That was very special Christmas!

Do I believe in Santa Clause?  Yes I do! If my kids ever doubt or wonder if I believe, I can honestly say yes he does exist!  He exists in the hearts of every person with a giving spirit!   Even though we might get a little crazy at Christmas time it is important to keep the proper perspective about it.  I always first and foremost want to keep it Christ centered, but it's okay to have fun too.  The over spending and focus on material things is seen as the modern day worship of drunkenness, partying, and inappropriate apparel that the Pagans were so hated for at their Winter celebrations (one reason the Puritans rejected Christmas).

With every passing Christmas I am reminded of those Christmas's long ago that changed me and made me a better person.  The tradition of giving, Santa's tradition, always inspires me to be a better person, why? because it is the same spirit of Christ. It's a good reminder to be more Christ-like and what better gift to give for the celebration of the birth of the Savior of the world?!  Whenever I see a Santa I see Joy for children, I see giving, sacrifice, an opportunity to teach my children about giving and I see the light of Christ!  I can see the craziness that surrounds Christmas, but I choose to focus on what it really is.  It's about the birth of the Savior of the world, a man, the son of God who gave everything because of LOVE!   It is also about a regular man who devoted his life to giving also because of LOVE, whose inspiration was Christ.  To me, the Pagan symbols of our modern day Christmas season represent an important effort to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  The Pagan origin is an interesting one because the Christians took the Pagan origin and turned the focus to Christ!  I don't believe we have subtly been deceived into worshiping Pagan Gods, but for some, stuff becomes their God at this time of year. Everyone chooses their God. So, yes, I can see why so many get frustrated or bitter about Christmas because sometimes we do witness insane amounts of greed.  Christmas, though, has been and always will be what you make it.  The focus is all up to each individual.

So, the next time someone tries to make you feel bad about your Christmas traditions or celebrations, don't let them!!!  It may not be as black and white as some make it seem, but a much more personal matter!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's a Barbie world.....or not!

Once I was A Mermaid

Fairy tale Undone